Opposition leader Rebecca White has launched a dishonest ‘medi-scare’ style campaign which once again highlights Labor have no plan, no ideas when it comes to health.
This is a desperate attempt to create fear in the community for their own political gain – it’s wrong and not based on the facts.
The latest elective surgery statistics for the LGH confirm that during 2016:
• We delivered record levels of surgery – Over 7600 people from the waiting list were admitted for surgery– this is 2,600 more (50%) than in 2013, the last year of the former government.
• The waiting list fell by more than 40 per cent, with 1600 fewer people waiting for surgery and the waiting list remaining at an historic low.
• There was a 70 per cent or more reduction in excessive waiting times.
• More than 1000 people received orthopaedic surgery such as hip and knee replacements, almost 1300 general surgeries such as hernia repair were performed and more than 1300 people received ophthalmological surgeries, primarily cataract removal.
• The average wait time for an outpatient appointment at LGH fell by 55 days
The Hodgman Liberal Government has made fixing the health system a key priority and this is reflected in the actions we have taken – opening beds, conducting more surgeries and employing more doctors and nurses.
This is in stark contrast to Labor’s record in Government of cutting $500 million from health and locking away hospital beds.
Talk is easy, it’s actions that count and Labor’s actions in Government show how little they really care about health and are a blueprint for what they’d do again if given the chance.